top of page

6 Foods Toxic For Dogs

Macadamia Nuts 

Ingesting just a few macadamia nuts leads to intoxication in small dogs. Clinical signs of macadamia nut poisoning appear in stages with vomiting, fever and lethargy occurring within 3 – 6 hours, followed by reluctance to use the rear limbs, inability to stand and muscle tremors occurring 6 – 12 hours later. 

 

Macadamia nut ingestion also increases risk for pancreatitis in susceptible small breeds. Contact us if you believe your pet has eaten macadamia nuts. Dogs receiving appropriate veterinary care are expected to make a full recovery within 24 – 48 hours.

Chocolate 
The amount and type of chocolate consumed determines the symptoms and toxicity level your dog will experience. Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, muscle tremors, irregular heartbeat and seizures. Dark chocolate is the most dangerous as it contains

a higher concentration of caffeine and theobromine, both of which cause toxicosis in dogs. 

Grapes and Raisins
While grapes and raisins are not harmful to some dogs, they are associated with kidney failure in others. It’s not worth the risk as vomiting, lethargy and diarrhea can occur within 12 hours of ingestion. Contact us if grapes or raisins have been eaten and these symptoms occur.

Garlic and Onions
All the onion family (garlic, shallots, spring onions, chives) is toxic to dogs. They contain compounds that can cause gastroenteritis, anemia and damage to red blood cells. Garlic is five times as potent as onions. Signs of poisoning that can appear several days after ingestion include lethargy, weakness and dark orange/red coloured urine. 

Xylitol
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in sugarless gum, sugar-free candy and baked goods. Ingestion can cause a life-threatening drop in your dog’s blood sugar, as well as liver damage. Symptoms include vomiting, seizures and loss of coordination, which can occur anywhere from a few minutes to several hours after ingestion. As an example, a 10-pound dog would only need to eat a single piece of sugar-free gum to reach a potentially toxic dose. Contact us if you suspect your dog has consumed anything that may contain Xylitol.

Alcohol & Raw Bread Dough
Small amounts of alcohol found in drinks, syrups and raw bread dough can be poisonous to dogs. These products contain ethanol, and beer also contains hops, both of which can cause alcohol intoxication. Signs of intoxication include vomiting, disorientation, high body temperature, restlessness, excessive panting, muscle tremors and seizures. Dogs who show signs of alcohol intoxication should be monitored by us until they recover, as intoxication can cause organ failure.

bottom of page